Foot problems and troubles for ballet dancers
We’ve also had foot problems and troubles.
Ms. Miyagi, dancer, Setagaya ward
I’m really glad to see an improvement in my feet with each visit. I just leave my treatment up to practitioner because she has the knowledge and experience.
Treatment is painful, but there is a really calming and comfortable atmosphere.
Ms. Ogino, ballet dancer, Narashino city
Tension in the back, pain on the top of the feet
I felt really relaxed once I entered the practice room, which was filled with life energy. It’s really important not only to be patient but also to listen to the voice from within your body.
We cannot guarantee the same results in treatment as those expressed in our customer comments.
All cases are treated on an individual basis and results may differ from case to case.
Do your symptoms appear in following?
〜Don’t give up and talk to us〜
Do you suffer from any of these?
- Sprain the same place often
- After straining your thigh muscle you have difficulty spreading your legs
- Can’t raise your legs because of hip joint pain
- Limited movement in your hip joints
- Pain from your Achilles tendon or the soles of your feet
- Pain in the arch of your foot or difficulty stretching the arch of your foot
- You roll the arch of your foot when you do plié
- Pain from ingrown toenails
- Can’t sleep because of severe lower back pain
Ballet is a body art. Dancer’s bodies are used for artistic expression. In order to maintain good condition, it is necessary to keep check on their bodies as well as carry out daily care. The best way to recover from injury caused by overworking is taking some rest, however dancers can’t have rest because of rehearsals and performance.
The leading cause of foot trouble for ballet dancers is a sprain. Sprains are caused when the joint is subjected to external forces and twisted, resulting in swelling around the joint, and pain. There is damage to the joint socket, tendon and ligament. If the ankle joint is subjected to external force, it hurts, but the joint will not loosen. When the ligament ruptures, the ankle joint will loosen.
A muscle strain is caused by tension or stress applied to the muscle that it cannot withstand. A muscle strain is an injury that damages the internal structure of the muscle. In sever cases, it can cause internal bleeding and damage the muscle fibers.
Certain areas have muscles that are more likely to be strained than others, these include: thighs, calves and back.
Approximate treatment period
2 to 3 weeks
2 to 6 months
(Reference: ‘Athletic injuries for sports coaches’)
Skeletal muscles only pull in one direction. This is why they coming in pairs. When one muscle contracts, to bend a joint for example, the other then contracts and pulls in the opposite direction to straighten the joint out again.
Due to the fact that dancers have quick movement, the above process happens at a much faster and repetitive rate. This can cause additional stress and damage to the muscles and joints. Coupled with gravity this can also lead to compression of the bones. The spine for example, has intervertebral disks that offer a cushioning effect, which can also be damaged. Other areas affected would include in the arches of the feet and hip joints.
Do you hope to achieve the following?
- More curvature from top of the foot to ankles
- More flexibility in your hip joints
- Raise your legs more
- Better posture and balance
- More flexibility in your back
- Alleviate fatigue
Why our clinic is able to solve these problems?
- It is very important for ballerinas to maintain their beautiful pointe. Historically beautiful pointe could only be achieved by children. Though deep muscle workout therapy, we can help give you more flexibility and thus achieve more beautiful pointe.
- Stress of the body and mind are related to the diaphragm. In order to gain more flexibility of the hip joints, back, lower back and legs, it is necessary to also focus on the diaphragm. The diaphragm is a sheet of muscles required for breathing. By adjusting the neck we are able to relax the diaphragm. Lower back pain except for myofascial lower back pain, are affected by the diaphragm. At our clinic, we consider treatment of the diaphragm to be one of the most important factors when treating the majority of conditions.
- For ballet dancers, general posture and positioning of the back, chest and shoulders (curved back, chest pushed forward with shoulders pushed back) is vital to achieving beautiful dance. At our clinic, through massage and stress relief, we aim to insure that this is constantly achieved.
- Our clinic has many ballet dancer clients who we have a long-term relationship with. We’ve learnt and studied dancer’s body conditions in a number of different circumstances, from the beginning of rehearsals, before and after performances, to the style of dance whether it be classical, contemporary etc. We make every effort to insure the best type of treatment for dancers.
- We are always listening to our client’s wants and needs in order to deliver the best service possible.
- We have various kinds of dancers as clients, like ballet, ballroom dance, jazz dance, musicals etc.